Friday, May 23, 2014

Feeling At Home

The air is so sweet here in the Kibbutz. After two straight days of dirt, sweat, sunscreen, and other unpleasant smells, it is absolutely incredible to sit with friends, stuffed with warm chicken and rice, and enjoy my first incredible Shabbat evening here in Israel amongst the cool grass and colorful flowers. It's the perfect environment to reflect upon my Birthright experience thus far.
I can't believe I just confidently wrote the word "friends." I am not a Syracuse student. I actually go to a tiny music school, Eastman, at the University of Rochester. With 500 undergrads and no major sports teams, it's a completely different universe from the massive, sports-crazed, Greek-infested giant that is Syracuse. After randomly being assigned to this group two weeks before the departure date, I was terrified. Terrified that no one would understand me; that we would be too different; that the Syracuse students would be too resistant to new blood. Brian assured me that I would be fine, but I didn't believe him.
But here I am, and after 72 hours of plane rides and bus rides, hikes, camels, Masada, the Dead Sea, and all of the things that I'm forgetting but have loved so much on this trip, I can honestly say Brian was right. The Syracuse students have welcomed me with open arms. They've shown a genuine interest in my background, begging me to sing whenever they get the chance and sharing their own stories and interests as well. I truly feel that I have made life long friends. Over the past few days, I have grown increasingly proud of being Jewish. It's been so cool to see how so many strangers can come together and make powerful bonds through our shared heritage. I can't believe that such a short time ago I was dreading coming here, and now I already know that I never want to leave. And don't worry guys, I'll be a staple at Syracuse Hillel in the fall.

-Alexandra Cohen

1 comment: